Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Recent Project-Invitations

My son is going to be 2 in 6 days (I can't believe it!!!). My parents are going to be in town for his birthday so I decided to throw him a small party this year and to make his party invitations. We sell pre-made cards and envelopes at the store that I work at.... that made it pretty easy. The images attached are of the card closed

Photobucket

and opened

Photobucket

Because I scanned the card, the colors aren't at all accurate. The folded card is actually a puce color, but the card on the inside is a darker/less green- blue. The image of my son is a rubber block print that I carved. I originally carved a linoleum block and was unhappy with the print. The image is small and has fine details that are hard to depict in linoleum. I also wasn't happy with the block printing ink. The details are very small narrow wells that are carved into the linoleum and since block printing ink is so thick it filled the wells and acted more like an intaglio print. So I carved a rubber block and essentially used it like a stamp. I even used an acid free dye based ink pad found in most craft stores. The result is exactly what I was looking for and I am more than happy with the result.

No comments: